By Seong H. Kim, Michael T. Dugger, Kash L. Mittal
Phenomena linked to the adhesion interplay of surfaces were a serious element of micro- and nanosystem improvement and function because the first MicroElectroMechanicalSystems(MEMS) have been fabricated. those phenomena are ubiquitous in nature and are found in all structures, in spite of the fact that MEMS units are fairly delicate to their results as a result of their small measurement and constrained actuation strength which may be generated. Extension of MEMS know-how options to the nanoscale and improvement of NanoElectroMechanicalSystems(NEMS) will bring about platforms much more strongly encouraged by way of surface. Read more...
Read or Download Adhesion Aspects in MEMS/NEMS PDF
Similar physical chemistry books
Offering new advancements from approximately a decade of development, this reference offers examples of the main unique medical and technical study impacting reviews in porosity and microporosity—illustrating ways to forecast the houses of microporous buildings for superior digital, development, electric, chemical, army, sanitary, and clinical functions.
For greater than 3 a long time the Electroanalytical Chemistry sequence has brought the main in-depth and demanding study regarding matters in electrochemistry. quantity 22 keeps this gold-standard with sensible experiences of modern functions, in addition to leading edge contributions from the world over revered specialists—highlighting the emergence of latest applied sciences and developments within the box.
Introducing the applying of unfastened power correlations to elucidating the mechanisms of natural and bio-organic reactions, this booklet presents a brand new and illuminating means of imminent a in all likelihood advanced subject. the belief of ways loose strength correlations derive from polar substituent switch is brought, and customary pitfalls encountered within the program of unfastened strength relationships are defined, in addition to using those anomalies in mechanistic reports.
- Supramolecular Soft Matter: Applications in Materials and Organic Electronics
- Molecular modelling : principles and applications
- The Physical Chemist's Toolbox
- Computational Chemistry
- Femtochemistry VII. Fundamental Ultrafast Processes in Chemistry, Physics, and Biology
- Theories of Molecular Reaction Dynamics: The Microscopic Foundation of Chemical Kinetics
Extra info for Adhesion Aspects in MEMS/NEMS
The product of the meniscus area and the Laplace pressure, equal to the capillary force, remains finite and decreases as the liquid contact angle increases. However, the validity of the continuum theory is questionable in this low pressure regime. 03. 03. 4. Conclusion The importance of taking into account the adsorbate film is explained theoretically. Unless the partial pressure of the molecule in the gas phase (p/psat ) is extremely low (as in ultra-high vacuum conditions), the adsorbate film will exist on the solid surface.
9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. K. L. Johnson, K. Kendall and A. D. Roberts, Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. A 324, 301–313 (1971). B. V. Derjaguin, V. M. Muller and Y. P. Toporov, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 53, 314–326 (1975). M. D. Pashley, Colloids Surfaces 12, 69–77 (1984). D. Maugis, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 150, 243–269 (1992). P. Attard and J. L. Parker, Phys. Rev. A 46, 7959–7971 (1992). J. A. Greenwood, Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. A 453, 1277–1297 (1997). J. Q. Feng, Colloids Surfaces 172, 175–198 (2000).
As p/psat → 1, the thickness of disjoining layer becomes negligible compared to the Kelvin radius. Here, Fc /(4πRγ ) in Fig. 6(c) decreases below one for all values of R. At point 1, this can be understood because as the Kelvin radius becomes very large, Fs is limited by the size of the sphere while Fp approaches zero. This effect is, therefore, more noticeable as R decreases. As p/psat decreases below 1, Fc /(4πRγ ) increases above 1. In this realm, the disjoining layer thickness adds substantially to the meniscus area.